Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Fresh Start

Did You Miss Me?

After I started this blog back in September of 2008 I quickly found out that I really didn't have the time to keep it up. I have recently entered into semi-retirement. One of the things that I want to do with my newly acquired spare time is write. I am in the process of refining my skills and have decided to use this blog as my outlet for the time being. Hopefully you will notice improvement in my style and content as time goes by. For the time being my goal for this blog is to simply have fun writing!

What Day Is It?
Thus far, this semi-retirement thing has been just a little confusing. I am working at the church two full days each week and Sundays, of course. For the first couple of weeks my sense of timing was completely thrown off kilter. I showed up one week early for two different meetings, and then spaced off several other events. It is like my ability to read and follow the calendar was disrupted. Because my wife had retired a short while ago, the week days off all seemed like Saturdays! It took me a couple of weeks to get past this challenge.

Now What?

The next thing I had to do was figure out how I would spend my time. I wanted to avoid both becoming too busy and just doing nothing. One of the main reasons I am taking early semi-retirement is to be able to spend more time with my wife and to be able to have the time to do some of the things I wanted to do, but couldn't because of time restraints. It's funny how you can dream about all those wonderful plans for retirement and yet, when you actually get there, things don't seem to be as easy as they looked as you were dreaming.

Does Writer's Block Hurt Much?

I have managed to begin working on writing. I have done some research online into resources I might be able to use to get started and have begun to do some of the writing exercises suggested by the various writing websites I have chosen to work with. Thanks to my wonderful wife, I have a dedicated writing space that allows me the seclusion I need to think and yet gives me a wonderful view of the surrounding countryside. I have also started to keep notes of various things I notice around me to be used as ideas for writing projects. I have brushed up on my typing skills and my grammar. I have chosen to write short stories to start, with an eye for possibly stringing some of them together into a larger project at some point. At this moment, the most difficult thing for me seems to be getting my 62 year old brain to function in the creative mode after having to operate in the logical mode for so many years. With time and patience this should resolve itself eventually.

See You Later?

For now I am both excited and just a little nervous about actually getting started! So, as we make this journey together, please be patient with me, after all, what do I know, I'm just a rodeo clown!

No comments: