Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'm Back - I Guess

I just noticed that my last post was November 11, 2008! I apologize for being "checked out" for such a long time. It seems that I get all these great ideas to write about, but by the time I sit down and begin writing I forget what I was so excited about earlier and just stare at a blank screen. I am not the most disciplined writer on the block, but I will try to do better in 2009.
I was reading in Genesis for my morning time with God and came across the story of Lot and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. It is the familiar story about how, after spending some time visiting with Abraham, two angels of God travel on to Sodom to destroy that city, while Abraham negotiates with God to save his nephew Lot and his family. While in Sodom they have a difficult time getting Lot and his family to leave so they can destroy the cities. finally they basically have to drag Lot out so they can do their work. As part of their instructions to Lot and his family they warn them not to look back. This is key to what I want to write about today.
One of the key principles of the Christian faith is that when we receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we are "born again" or given a second chance in life. When Lot and his family fled Sodom they were told not to look back. Lot's wife disobeyed and lost her life, the Bible says she was turned into a pillar of salt!
In 2 Corinthians 5:17 the Apostle Paul tells us that when we receive Jesus Christ our old life passes away, everything becomes new, we become a "new creature". I don't know about you, but that says to me that if my past is wiped out and I have been given a fresh start as a "new creature" then God expects me not to look back at my past with either regret or a longing to return to my old sinful ways. Furthermore, in Philippians 3:13-14 he tells us that we need to forget the things that are past and reach forward for the things that God has for us in the future. We are to press forward toward the goal that God has set for us, His high calling for our lives. It is not always easy to do these things, in fact it can be down right difficult at times. That is one reason that we need our Christian brothers and sisters to lift us up in prayer in order that we might succeed in this. It saddens me when I see a brother or sister in Christ, whether they be a new convert or a seasoned saint, spend so much time looking back that they miss the glory and blessings of God that are in front of them. It makes it even worse when they look back at their past sin and return to their old ways!
Okay, lighten up Pastor Bob! Once again we are presented with a new year, a "fresh canvas" to paint a brand new picture on. I don't really make New Year's Resolutions, however I do set goals for myself at the beginning of each new year. This year my chief goal is to spend as much of my time as I can looking forward to what God has in store for me and walk through the doors He opens and do the work to prepare for His high calling! My prayer for you is that you will do the same.
We have so much to look forward to as Christians. Every day of our walk with Jesus Christ is a grand adventure that can be filled with excitement and wonder. We miss so much if we choose to live our life looking back.
But then, what do I know? I'm just a rodeo clown! Until next week, may God richly bless you, your family, and your ministry unto Him!
Your servant in Christ Jesus,
Pastor Bob

1 comment:

Ruthie Oberg said...

I like that line about not looking back at the past full of regret or full of longing. It was what it was...now let's make the future what it needs to be. Good thoughts!

New Year's is my favorite holiday...I love getting a new calendar and a fresh page in the journal. It reminds me that with God there is always a new start!